commons-dev mailing list archives

From "simon.kitching@chello.at" <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: [Validator] Apache Commons Validator and JSR#303
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 16:33:29 GMT
Hi Mohammed,

To clarify, the process Niall recommended is as follows:

(1)
You send an email in a separate thread, requesting sandbox commit rights
for yourself and the other initial committer.

Provide your apache ids of course.

It might be nice to provide links to show some evidence of your
committer access, eg links to the "developers" lists for the projects
you currently are committers for.

Also provide a very brief summary of what you intend to do in the
sandbox, for people who have not read this thread.

(2)
After a couple of days, assuming there are no objections to this
proposal, Niall (or someone else) will copy validator trunk into the
sandbox.

(3)
Hopefully your sandbox commit rights will also be done by then and you
can get started.

Of course, you can also use the next few days to start a design
discussion on this list, or create some wiki pages for architectural
discussion, links to the relevant projects, etc.

I'm happy to help with getting this project started if needed (I'm also
a MyFaces committer).

Regards,
Simon

Mohammad Nour El-Din schrieb:
> [...]
>>  >  >  >  process of the current implementation of validator - Validator1,
and
>>  >  >  >  when I have a working thing, we can get it out of sandbox to commons
>>  >  >  >  proper as part of the main Validator project, so people can have
2
>>  >  >  >  falvours of Validator either 1/2. What do you think Naill ??
>>  >  >
>>  >  >  Yes I'm happy with that. I'll leave it a couple of days, to give other
>>  >  >  people a chance to give opnions - but if there are no objections/other
>>  >  >  proposals then I'll go ahead and set that up in the Sandbox. For
>>  >  >  sandbox access I think its just a case of pinging the list (probably
>>  >  >  best in another thread, as it might get missed in this one) to ask for
>>  >  >  Sandbox karma for yourself and your MyFaces colleague.
>>  >  >
>>  >  >
>>  >  >
>>  >  >  Niall
>>  >  >
>>  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 5:11 PM, simon.kitching@chello.at
>>  >  >  >  <simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
>>  >  >  >  > Hi Mohammed,
>>  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  One of the purposes of the commons project is to pool the
work of other
>>  >  >  >  >  commons projects, ie extract bits out of other projects
that can be more
>>  >  >  >  >  widely applied. Therefore, the commons project is pretty
open to
>>  >  >  >  >  existing committers on other Apache projects getting commit
access to
>>  >  >  >  >  commons.
>>  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  As long as the PMC/existing validator developers are happy
with the
>>  >  >  >  >  general idea, I think it likely that you (and any other
interested
>>  >  >  >  >  apache committers) would just be granted commit access to
apply changes
>>  >  >  >  >  yourself.
>>  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  Regards,
>>  >  >  >  >  Simon
>>  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  Mohammad Nour El-Din schrieb:
>>  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  > > Sorry for the last stupid question I could have know
it from site, but
>>  >  >  >  >  > one more - I hope not stupid - question, you will apply
the Validator2
>>  >  >  >  >  > code in trunk and make old validator in a separate
branch ???
>>  >  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Niall Pemberton
>>  >  >  >  >  > <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Mohammad Nour
El-Din
>>  >  >  >  >  >>
>>  >  >  >  >  >> <nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >  >  >  >  >>
>>  >  >  >  >  >>
>>  >  >  >  >  >>> Just to make sure, this is where trunk code
exist
>>  >  >  >  >  >>>
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/validator/trunk/
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >>
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  Yes
>>  >  >  >  >  >>
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  Niall
>>  >  >  >  >  >>
>>  >  >  >  >  >>
>>  >  >  >  >  >>
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Mohammad
Nour El-Din
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  > <nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  > > I skimmed over the JSR - not a detailed
look actually - and through
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  using annotations you declare the
validator class, so we can adapt the
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  current validators, or at least make
minor changes to make them
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  suitable to be used through JSR#303/Validator2
impl. I will download
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  the code today and take a more detailed
look at JSR PDF and if I found
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  more info I will send them back by
the end of this week.
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Niall
Pemberton
PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din <mnour@apache.org> wrote:
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  > Hi All...
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >   Recently an EDR JSR#303
has been published on JCP -
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=303
. They intend to make a unified
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  Bean Validation APIs/Framework
based on using annotations and XML
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  configuration files, and
they define the way how to apply and use
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  validation, and it will
be part of the Java Beans model.
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  I am a committer in Apache
OpenEJB, and we need such functionality for
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  bean validation through
the process of deploying an enterprise java
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  bean - we have a home
made validation framework now. And I have a
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  colleague of mine who
is working in Apache MyFaces Tomahawk-
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/index.html
- and he is interested
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  in such functionality
to apply validation regarding JSF.
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  My colleague and I are
very interested in implementing this JSR in
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  Apache Commons Validator,
but seems that the project is not active for
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  a while, so I am asking
how our changes are going to be applied to
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  Commons Validator. I mean
are we going to submit changes in patches
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  and someone will review
and commit - but no one is active now to do
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  that. Or I can get a committer
access to apply changes and review
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  patches submitted by my
colleague. Please advice and help.
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  Do you have an idea how you
want to do this in Commons Validator?
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  Specifically I'm wondering whether
this would be a re-write or whether
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  you think the exisiting framework
could be adapated to JSR 303? My
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  thinking was that implementing
JSR 303 would involved and
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  brand-new-replacement for the
existing framework - Validator2.
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  Niall
>>  >  >  >  >  >>  >  >  >  >  P.S. I need your reply
ASAP to stat planning and coordination with my colleague.