commons-dev mailing list archives

From "simon.kitching@chello.at" <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: [Validator] Apache Commons Validator and JSR#303
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:11:52 GMT
Hi Mohammed,

One of the purposes of the commons project is to pool the work of other
commons projects, ie extract bits out of other projects that can be more
widely applied. Therefore, the commons project is pretty open to
existing committers on other Apache projects getting commit access to
commons.

As long as the PMC/existing validator developers are happy with the
general idea, I think it likely that you (and any other interested
apache committers) would just be granted commit access to apply changes
yourself.

Regards,
Simon

Mohammad Nour El-Din schrieb:
> Sorry for the last stupid question I could have know it from site, but
> one more - I hope not stupid - question, you will apply the Validator2
> code in trunk and make old validator in a separate branch ???
>
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:58 PM, Niall Pemberton
> <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
>>
>> <nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Just to make sure, this is where trunk code exist
>>>
>>  >
>>  >  http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/validator/trunk/
>>  >

>>  Yes
>>
>>  Niall
>>

>>  >
>>  >  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din
>>  >
>>  > <nour.mohammad@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >
>>  >
>>  > > I skimmed over the JSR - not a detailed look actually - and through
>>  >  >  using annotations you declare the validator class, so we can adapt the
>>  >  >  current validators, or at least make minor changes to make them
>>  >  >  suitable to be used through JSR#303/Validator2 impl. I will download
>>  >  >  the code today and take a more detailed look at JSR PDF and if I found
>>  >  >  more info I will send them back by the end of this week.
>>  >  >
>>  >  >
>>  >  >
>>  >  >  On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:49 PM, Niall Pemberton
>>  >  >  <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>>  >  >  >
>>  >  >  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 2:06 PM, Mohammad Nour El-Din <mnour@apache.org>
wrote:
>>  >  >  >  > Hi All...
>>  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >   Recently an EDR JSR#303 has been published on JCP -
>>  >  >  >  >  http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=303 . They intend to make
a unified
>>  >  >  >  >  Bean Validation APIs/Framework based on using annotations
and XML
>>  >  >  >  >  configuration files, and they define the way how to apply
and use
>>  >  >  >  >  validation, and it will be part of the Java Beans model.
>>  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  I am a committer in Apache OpenEJB, and we need such functionality
for
>>  >  >  >  >  bean validation through the process of deploying an enterprise
java
>>  >  >  >  >  bean - we have a home made validation framework now. And
I have a
>>  >  >  >  >  colleague of mine who is working in Apache MyFaces Tomahawk-
>>  >  >  >  >  http://myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/index.html - and he is
interested
>>  >  >  >  >  in such functionality to apply validation regarding JSF.
>>  >  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  >  My colleague and I are very interested in implementing this
JSR in
>>  >  >  >  >  Apache Commons Validator, but seems that the project is
not active for
>>  >  >  >  >  a while, so I am asking how our changes are going to be
applied to
>>  >  >  >  >  Commons Validator. I mean are we going to submit changes
in patches
>>  >  >  >  >  and someone will review and commit - but no one is active
now to do
>>  >  >  >  >  that. Or I can get a committer access to apply changes and
review
>>  >  >  >  >  patches submitted by my colleague. Please advice and help.
>>  >  >  >
>>  >  >  >  Do you have an idea how you want to do this in Commons Validator?
>>  >  >  >  Specifically I'm wondering whether this would be a re-write or
whether
>>  >  >  >  you think the exisiting framework could be adapated to JSR 303?
My