commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [m2][PROPOSAL] Release process
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2008 23:20:48 GMT
If I raise my view and just look at the A, B, C and D headings, it
sounds good. But, there shouldn't be two options under B. IMO we should
always use the release plugin. That will give us consistent releases.

Should something be wrong with the release-plugin we'll be consistently
wrong :-) But bugs are meant to be fixed, so that shouldn't be a problem
in the long run.

Rahul Akolkar wrote:
> Based on couple of JIRA comments, it seems there still isn't consensus
> about a release process using m2 at Commons. I'll try to outline the
> process.
>
> <outline>
>
> [A] Release prep
>
> [B] Stage artifacts and site, to some location TBD (entire commands
> below, not abridged etc.):
>
> mvn -Prc release:prepare
> mvn -Prc release:perform
> mvn -Prc site-deploy
>
> Or, if you don't care about the release plugin, after setting final
> versions in [A]:
>
> mvn -Prc deploy
> mvn -Prc site-deploy
>
> [C] Vote
>
> [D] Go live
>
> mvn stage:copy ...
> mvn site-deploy
>
> </outline>
>
> Does this fit your mental model? If not, why not?
>
> Please keep the discussion at a "vision" level. Yes, the outline is
> flawed (all votes don't pass, there are loops etc.) Yes, required pom
> changes are not discussed. But, once process is OK'ed, we will make
> the poms do the right thing :-)
>
> -Rahul

Dennis Lundberg