commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Showing the Java Version on component sites
Date Sun, 09 Mar 2008 19:32:47 GMT
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 1:40 PM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>  > On Sun, Mar 9, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org>
wrote:
>>  >> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>  >>  > On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 4:19 PM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org>
wrote:
>>  >>  >> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>  >>  >>  > On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org>
wrote:
>>  >>  >>  >> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>  >>  >>  >>  > On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 7:38 PM, Dennis Lundberg
<dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>>  >>  >>  >>  >> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  > I just re-published all the component
sites and notice that (by
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  > mistake) it had used a patched copy
of the
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  > maven-project-info-reports-plugin that
I have in my local repo
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  > (sorry!). Anyway I submitted a patch
to maven to include the Java
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  > version on the dependencies page. The
feedback I got was they prefer
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  > it on the project summary page - so
I submitted a patch for that as
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  > well.
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  >
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  > Logging is an example of using different
source/target versions:
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  >    http://commons.apache.org/logging/dependencies.html
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  >    http://commons.apache.org/logging/project-summary.html
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  The part about "It has been built using
Java 1.5" in the dependencies
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  report isn't accurate. 1.5 is the version
used (by you) to build and
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  publish the site. I used 1.4 when I did
the logging release, so having
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  anything else there is misleading. I think
that part should be removed.
>>  >>  >>  >>  >>  What extra value does it give to users,
providing it was correct?
>>  >>  >>  >>  >
>>  >>  >>  >>  > I could ask the same question of maven and the
Build-Jdk it puts in
>>  >>  >>  >>  > the manifest which is really mis-leading since
the source/target
>>  >>  >>  >>  > settings are missing - except here in commons.
>>  >>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  >>  The Build-Jdk in this case is the actual JDK that
was used to produce
>>  >>  >>  >>  the jar file. So it is correct. Having the source
and target in there is
>>  >>  >>  >>  much better though, for the reasons you mention below.
>>  >>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  >>  > My answer though is its a warning - since setting
the target option
>>  >>  >>  >>  > doesn't actually guarantee it will run on that
version if API's from
>>  >>  >>  >>  > later java versions have been used.
>>  >>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  >>  But in this case it's not a warning. It the JDK that
was used to build
>>  >>  >>  >>  the *site* - not the jar file. That doesn't tell a
user anything.
>>  >>  >>  >
>>  >>  >>  > OK looks like we're mis-communicating here - what exactly
did you mean
>>  >>  >>  > by "providing it was correct" in your original question?
I took it to
>>  >>  >>  > mean "providing it was the value used to build the jar
for the
>>  >>  >>  > release".
>>  >>  >>
>>  >>  >>  Right, that's what I meant.
>>  >>  >
>>  >>  > OK well that was the question I was answering - not if it wasn't
>>  >>  > correct which I didn't disagree with.
>>  >>
>>  >>  Great, so do we agree on this summary?
>>  >
>>  > No not really - the source and target versions don't necessarily
>>  > relate to the release either. Take codec - Henri just bumped that up
>>  > to 1.4 - but the Codec 1.3 release was (I assume) JDK 1.3 compatible.
>>
>>  I was asking, because I wanted to fix and close MPIR-80.
>>
>>  We really do need properly versioned sites, for your patch to be used
>>  without the risk of misinformation.
>
> My patch makes no difference to what you term mis-information. For
> example, if someone adds/removes/changes version of a component's
> dependency AFTER a release and re-publishes the site then whats
> published no longer relates to the last release. The same is true for
> the whole site - e.g. adding a new feature and documenting it in a
> user guide and re-publishing.

Right, sorry for the confusion. The misinformation doesn't come from
your patch, but from the fact that it is possible to re-deploy a site,
thereby altering the content that was published at release time.

> For me though, having the site reflect whats currently in trunk and
> not the latest release is OK and I wouldn't term it mis-information -
> its the latest information.
>
> I did that patch originally because Sebb kept asking for the java
> version to be on the dependencies page. However given his recent
> comments it clearly doesn't meet his requirements. I think its quite
> nice and adding it does no harm, but I'm less interested in it now if
> you just want to close it as WONT FIX,

I'd like to keep the issue open, because I think it is adds value to the
reports. I will however postpone it until Maven has better support for
versioned sites.

> Niall
>
>>  > Niall
>>  >
>>  >>  - It is good to put the "source" and "target" version parameters for the
>>  >>  compiler plugin in the reports.
>>  >>
>>  >>  - It is bad to put the JDK version in the reports, because it is too
>>  >>  difficult to get the correct value for it.
>>  >

Dennis Lundberg