commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Showing the Java Version on component sites
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:38:19 GMT
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> I just re-published all the component sites and notice that (by
> mistake) it had used a patched copy of the
> maven-project-info-reports-plugin that I have in my local repo
> (sorry!). Anyway I submitted a patch to maven to include the Java
> version on the dependencies page. The feedback I got was they prefer
> it on the project summary page - so I submitted a patch for that as
> well.
>
> Logging is an example of using different source/target versions:
>    http://commons.apache.org/logging/dependencies.html
>    http://commons.apache.org/logging/project-summary.html

The part about "It has been built using Java 1.5" in the dependencies
report isn't accurate. 1.5 is the version used (by you) to build and
publish the site. I used 1.4 when I did the logging release, so having
anything else there is misleading. I think that part should be removed.
What extra value does it give to users, providing it was correct?

This is related to publishing versioned sites that I touched upon in
another mail.

> BeanUtils is an example of the same source/target versions:
>    http://commons.apache.org/beanutils/dependencies.html
>    http://commons.apache.org/beanutils/project-summary.html
>
> My preference is to have it on the dependencies page, because I think
> people are more likely to look there - but perhaps both places would
> be good. I haven't had any feedback since I submitted the second
> pacth, so If you think its a good idea for commons then it would be
> good to vote for that JIRA bug:
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPIR-80
>
> Niall

Dennis Lundberg