commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [all] Showing the Java Version on component sites
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 19:29:30 GMT
sebb wrote:
> On 05/03/2008, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I just re-published all the component sites and notice that (by
>>  mistake) it had used a patched copy of the
>>  maven-project-info-reports-plugin that I have in my local repo
>>  (sorry!). Anyway I submitted a patch to maven to include the Java
>>  version on the dependencies page. The feedback I got was they prefer
>>  it on the project summary page - so I submitted a patch for that as
>>  well.
>>
>>  Logging is an example of using different source/target versions:
>>    http://commons.apache.org/logging/dependencies.html
>>    http://commons.apache.org/logging/project-summary.html
>
> The version on the latter page shows 1.1.2-SNAPSHOT.
> Surely it should be 1.1.1 - which is the current version?

This is what happens when you re-publish the site for a Maven 2 project,
post release. We should establish a policy (if there isn't one already)
regarding when, who and how it is allowed to re-publish a component's site.

Over in Maven-land we have just started using a mechanism that publishes
the site for a released version in one place and a snapshot site in
another place. Perhaps this can be used in commons as well?

>>  BeanUtils is an example of the same source/target versions:
>>    http://commons.apache.org/beanutils/dependencies.html
>>    http://commons.apache.org/beanutils/project-summary.html
>>

> Likewise, the version is not the current version.
>
> I think the dependencies page needs to list the POM version used to
> provide the details (this is already on the summary page); I've
> updated the JIRA issue accordingly.
>
>>  My preference is to have it on the dependencies page, because I think
>>  people are more likely to look there - but perhaps both places would
>>  be good.
>
> Both is better.
>
> ==
>
> Where a project lists multiple releases, it seems to me it would be
> useful to have the dependency and project information available for
> all the displayed releases, not just the current one.
>
> In any case, the information should relate to at lease one of the
> releases - not whatever happens to be current in SVN which is what
> seems to be happening at present.
>
>>  I haven't had any feedback since I submitted the second
>>  pacth, so If you think its a good idea for commons then it would be
>>  good to vote for that JIRA bug:
>>
>>  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MPIR-80
>
> Updated and voted on.
>
>>  Niall