commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Type conversion
Date Tue, 04 Mar 2008 20:45:10 GMT
Emmanuel Bourg schrieb:
> Oliver Heger a écrit :
>
>> Do we need to specify a date format?
>>
>> Because a configuration file is not intended to be viewed or edited by
>> an end user we could define our own format (e.g. the format used by
>> the java.sql date types) and always use it for date <-> string
>> conversions.
>
> Properties file are often edited by hand, that's why we have a
> PropertyConfigurationLayout class to keep the file easily readable by a
> human being. Also, DataConfiguration already defines a default date
> format if the user doesn't bother to specify one.
>

>> This would simplify the API and its use.
>
> I would agree if the date conversion was a new feature, I'm just keeping
> the vararg parameter to remain compatible with the existing
> configuration files.
>
> Emmanuel Bourg

I agree that the date format should be configurable. But there are
certainly other alternatives.

For instance, the date format could be a property of the date converter.
If users have special requirements, they can register a new date
converter with a different format pattern, overriding the default one.

I would really like to avoid adding a parameter to an interface method
that is only used by a specific implementation of that interface.

Oliver