commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [configuration] Type conversion
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:19:43 GMT
Oliver Heger a écrit :

> Do we need to specify a date format?
>
> Because a configuration file is not intended to be viewed or edited by
> an end user we could define our own format (e.g. the format used by the
> java.sql date types) and always use it for date <-> string conversions.

Properties file are often edited by hand, that's why we have a
PropertyConfigurationLayout class to keep the file easily readable by a
human being. Also, DataConfiguration already defines a default date
format if the user doesn't bother to specify one.

> This would simplify the API and its use.

I would agree if the date conversion was a new feature, I'm just keeping
the vararg parameter to remain compatible with the existing
configuration files.

Emmanuel Bourg