commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Oberhuber, Martin" <Martin.Oberhu...@windriver.com>
Subject RE: [NET] fixing short date parsing problems (was: [VOTE] Release Commons Net 1.5)
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 17:10:51 GMT
> Seems to me it would be a lot better if the FTPFile entry was still
> generated, but with a null date.

I agree.

In the past, commons net ftp has always been using strict parsing,
with the result that some files might have been missed. We have
also seen this on Solaris with certain devices which would have
led to "ls" lines that the regular expressions did not understand.

I think that API-wise in 2.0 there should be special "invalid or
unknown" values for each slot of the FTPFile data, in order to
handle the cases where the parsing fails for any reason.

Setting a "0" date in 1.5 seems to be OK here as well, although
the handling of dates might be sensitive in an environment where
FTP is used as base for virtual file system that performs a "make"
kind of operation (and might thus lead to not re-building parts
of a system).

It's kind of a philosophical choice, but from a user's perspective
I'd prefer seeing a file with a "null" date rather than not seeing
it at all.

Cheers,
--
Martin Oberhuber, Senior Member of Technical Staff, Wind River
http://www.eclipse.org/dsdp/tm