commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [sandbox] Component ideas
Date Wed, 05 Mar 2008 22:26:09 GMT
My component ideas:

* I am still interested in incubating Morph as another
shot at Commons-convert, though I'm not sure how it
will be received given its overlap with BeanUtils, to
which Niall has been giving quite some attention
lately.

* I am for all intents and purposes clear to release a
flat file processing library I have developed for my
employer.  I'll follow up with a code dump soon, but
the basic idea is that many Java developers still have
to deal with flat file I/O for integration with legacy
systems, and until the recent release of the Spring
batch stuff I had never seen the problem addressed
with any great amount of thought.  My package includes
a DSL declaration language for flat files that is
superficially akin to COBOL copybooks, that being my
language of origin, so to speak.  It also implements
Morph's *Reflector interfaces for easy transformation
to/from Java object graphs.

* Finally, I'd like to create a component whose
principal component is a DSL interpreter for tersely
represented Java object mappings.  I haven't finished
planning the entire model, but my intent is to tie an
object parsing context to an arbitrary Map instance.
This would be a from-scratch reimplementation of
another $work project, whose source code I will also
be free to release, but it is my belief that only
certain small pieces of that existing code (probably <
5 classes) would be necessary for the rewrite.
Because of this I'm not sure if this is more a sandbox
with a grant of some code that -might- be used, or an
incubating project with a beginning "scratch"
codebase.  IF we get something along the lines of
Incubator Commons as discussed the distinction might
not be very significant.

Opinions solicited...
-Matt