commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r638703 - in /commons/proper/lang/branches/LANG_POST_2_4/src: java/org/apache/commons/lang/ test/org/apache/commons/lang/
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 16:10:31 GMT

--- Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 2:42 PM, Matt Benson
> <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >  --- Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >  > On 3/19/08, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com>
> >  > wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > >  --- Niall Pemberton
> <niall.pemberton@gmail.com>
> >  > wrote:
> >  > >
> >  > >  > Adding rather than copying looses all the
> svn
> >  > >  > history of these files
> >  > >  > which is a big mistake IMO.
> >  > >
> >  > >
> >  > > Point taken; I wasn't thinking about that.
> :)
> >  > >  However, since we've not yet agreed on the
> final
> >  > home
> >  > >  for this stuff, I'm going to leave as-is for
> now.
> >  >  If
> >  > >  we decide to merge this stuff back to trunk
> (this
> >  > is
> >  > >  intended, after all, to be only a temporary
> >  > branch),
> >  > >  we can copy the (non-compiling) BeanUtils
> >  > versions in,
> >  > >  then Lang-ify by committing the branch
> versions.
> >  > >
> >  > <snip/>
> >  >
> >  > This will make it hard to carry over the
> history
> >  > between now and then, if any.
> >
> >  Okay.  You guys win.  I'll try to get to it
> today.
>
> Great, thanks :)
>
> Another suggestion - perhaps these things should go
> in a
> "org.apache.commons.lang.reflect" package? It would
> tie up nicely with
> the java.lang.reflect and package all these related
> impls. together.

I agree that the symmetry with java.lang.reflect is
nice, so I'll go ahead and do this.  This brings us
back, however, to the question of whether [reflect]
should be resurrected.  My personal feeling is that
the scope of [reflect] as repository for "stuff to
make it easier to work with java.lang.reflect" is so
small and has so much overlap with [lang], that it's
not really worth it.  The namespace of
java.lang.reflect once again emphasizes that this
stuff is at best a subset of functionality that makes
sense in [lang].

In contrast, Morph's "reflector" facet would IMHO make
a nice standalone Commons component as a/the new take
on the bean/dynabean/etc. facilities of [beanutils].
Similar to [clazz] but far less complicated IMO, and
therefore hopefully more likely to survive.

-Matt