commons-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [sandbox] Component ideas
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 14:06:01 GMT

--- Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:

> On the adding components to the sandbox bit that
> Matt raised; here are
> some I'd like to bring in. It's stuff from osjava
> that I haven't found
> replacements that I like yet:

So these are the types of proposals you meant:
informal?

To be sure we're on the same page, I am using:
+1 = in favor/will help
+0 = in favor/will not help
-0 = don't feel strongly; don't need; won't block
-1 = against

> payload - self-extracting jar builder. Useful as an
> agile install tool.

+0/1

> gj-scrape - HTML scraping API. Scrapes as a String
> walker rather than
> trying to tidy up into nice XML and doing DOM.

I think -0

> xmlwriter - output XML. Very simple API and I think
> still valuable. I
> know there are alternatives out there hidden away in
> other APIs
> though,
>                     so might be that someone knows
> XStream or XOM or
> something is great for this.

Reminds me of Spring 2.x's TagWriter API.
+0/1

http://www.osjava.org/genjava/multiproject/gj-scrape/apidocs/
> http://www.osjava.org/xmlwriter/
>
> Areas to improve in each:
>
> payload - a GUI install window in addition to the
> command line one. It
> should recognize if the icon was double clicked and
> if so kick off a
> gui mode.
>
> gj-scrape - possibly rethink as an xml scraper for
> dodgy xml [ie:
> html]. Various bits could be added; but then they'd
> make it more
> serious. I found it very useful simply because it
> doesn't try to infer
> much about the document.
>
>  xmlwriter - have it auto-check an XSD or DTD on the
> way out. There's
> code in there to do that, but it needs finishing.
> JARV gave me pain :)
>
> Anyway, I'd like to bring them to Commons if
> desired.

Via the incubator, yes?

-Matt