commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:53:09 GMT
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:41 AM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > Here's the Lang 2.4 RC2 for your delectation:
>  >
>  >   http://people.apache.org/~bayard/staging/commons-lang-2.4-rc2/
>  >

>  Sigs etc are fine.
>
>  Ant 1.6.5 and Maven 1.0.2 test OK using Java 1.3.1
>

>  >  It's built from an export of
>  >  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/lang/tags/LANG_2_4_RC2
>  >  and the Ant build built fine for me under JDK 1.3.
>  >
>  >  Note: The findbugs and cobertura reports are commented out in the
>  >  pom.xml because they were causing OutOfMemory errors.  One of the
>  >  website files will need updating with the release date.
>  >
>  >  Changes since RC1 are:
>  >
>  >  * Fix to project.xml and pom.xml so the developer lists are the same.
>  >  * Hardcode the version into the src/assembly/src.xml to get around a Maven bug.
>  >  * Fix to the site nav javadoc link to be 2.4 and not 2.3.
>  >
>  >  Should we release it?
>
>  It's not easy finding out which versions of Java are supported.
>
>  The only reference I could find was in the User Manual:
>
>  "Lang seeks to support Java 1.2 onwards ..."
>
>  which does not actually promise anything.
>
>  Please can the supported Java version(s) be documented more clearly?

Will do. Can it be on the website, or does it mean another RC?

I want to update the release_history page to say which version each
supports, which means sitting down and testing each build on a Windows
box so I can get to JDK 1.2 and 1.1(maybe). Then I'll add the 2.4
specific note to the front page.

>  ==
>
>  The pom.xml <description> refers to:
>
>  "Commons.Lang, a package of Java utility classes for the ..."
>
>  Surely this should be "Commons Lang..." ?
>
>  The description can also be taken to mean that Commons Lang is part of
>  java.lang.
>
>  The descriptions on the website are better.

Will fix. Again - rc blocker?

>  ==
>
>  Minor nit:
>
>  project.properties has the line:
>  maven.jdiff.old.tag=LANG_2_1
>
>  that should probably be LANG_2_3.

Yeah. Though I'm going to suggest deleting the m1 build as soon as the
m2 build has proven itself in a release.

>  >  [ ] +1
>  >  [ ] -1

Any of those blockers? With RM hat on, none of them seem blockers to me.

Hen