commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henri Yandell" <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [sandbox] Component ideas
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:34:15 GMT
On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 6:06 AM, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>  --- Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  > On the adding components to the sandbox bit that
>  > Matt raised; here are
>  > some I'd like to bring in. It's stuff from osjava
>  > that I haven't found
>  > replacements that I like yet:
>
>  So these are the types of proposals you meant:
>  informal?

Yeah. Possibly a bit more detail than mine if it's just an idea - I
have the advantage of being able to link to a page on them already
etc.

>  To be sure we're on the same page, I am using:
>  +1 = in favor/will help
>  +0 = in favor/will not help
>  -0 = don't feel strongly; don't need; won't block
>  -1 = against
>

>  >
>  > payload - self-extracting jar builder. Useful as an
>  > agile install tool.
>  >

>  +0/1
>

>  > gj-scrape - HTML scraping API. Scrapes as a String
>  > walker rather than
>  > trying to tidy up into nice XML and doing DOM.
>
>  I think -0

It makes coffee and will tie your shoes!

Maybe I should fold it into scraping-engine instead; then make that a
stand alone google project.

>  > xmlwriter - output XML. Very simple API and I think
>  > still valuable. I
>  > know there are alternatives out there hidden away in
>  > other APIs
>  > though,
>  >                     so might be that someone knows
>  > XStream or XOM or
>  > something is great for this.
>  >

>  Reminds me of Spring 2.x's TagWriter API.
>  +0/1
>  >
>  > Anyway, I'd like to bring them to Commons if
>  > desired.
>  >

>  Via the incubator, yes?

I'm the only committer on all three, so as I understand it I could
just commit straight into the Sandbox, however that would be a bit
weird as these are released projects and it would be odd to then sit
in the Sandbox. Alternatively, making each one a separate project in
the Incubator and building up a community for what is a Commons
component sized library will be an uphill task.

It's almost like we need a project in Incubator to bring components in
[for example; not-yet-commons ssl if the author is still interested].
We would bring them in there and when we felt it was good we would
move them over to Commons. We'd be the accepting community, so there
wouldn't be a need to drum up a big community.

Hen