commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Lang 2.4 (RC2)
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:41:36 GMT
> Here's the Lang 2.4 RC2 for your delectation:
>
>   http://people.apache.org/~bayard/staging/commons-lang-2.4-rc2/

Sigs etc are fine.

Ant 1.6.5 and Maven 1.0.2 test OK using Java 1.3.1

>  It's built from an export of
>  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/lang/tags/LANG_2_4_RC2
>  and the Ant build built fine for me under JDK 1.3.
>
>  Note: The findbugs and cobertura reports are commented out in the
>  pom.xml because they were causing OutOfMemory errors.  One of the
>  website files will need updating with the release date.
>
>  Changes since RC1 are:
>
>  * Fix to project.xml and pom.xml so the developer lists are the same.
>  * Hardcode the version into the src/assembly/src.xml to get around a Maven bug.
>  * Fix to the site nav javadoc link to be 2.4 and not 2.3.
>
>  Should we release it?

It's not easy finding out which versions of Java are supported.

The only reference I could find was in the User Manual:

"Lang seeks to support Java 1.2 onwards ..."

which does not actually promise anything.

Please can the supported Java version(s) be documented more clearly?

==

The pom.xml <description> refers to:

"Commons.Lang, a package of Java utility classes for the ..."

Surely this should be "Commons Lang..." ?

The description can also be taken to mean that Commons Lang is part of
java.lang.

The descriptions on the website are better.

==

Minor nit:

project.properties has the line:
maven.jdiff.old.tag=LANG_2_1