commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [NET] 1.5 Leap year processing
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:39:47 GMT
On 13/03/2008, Oberhuber, Martin <Martin.Oberhuber@windriver.com> wrote:
> What about this:
>
>  1.) Use REGEX to parse year into a separate String -> will be empty or nnnn

Regex is not available in Java 1.3.
Also, how does one know where the year is in the string?

[Adding the year is easy, because the format and the string can both
have the year added at the end.]

>  2.) If year is empty, substitute current year (as seen on client) and parse the date
>  2.1  If a parse error occurs, OR result date is > 3 days in the future, try again
with previous year
>      (in order to account for Jan.1 on the host where client still has Dec.31)
>      (allow 3 days in future to be safe in really odd timezone conditions)

2.2 If previous year also gives a parse error then give up?

>  My Linux box (RHEL4) currently shows
>     "Sep 27 17:28"  for Sep 27, 2007
>     "Sep  3 2007"   for Sep 3, 2007
>     "Mar 15 2008"   for Mar 15, 2008
>
>  So apparently it uses short dates only for 6 months back.
>  And doesn't use short dates for future dates even if it's
>  Just 2 days in the future.

Useful to know.

>  I think that the FTP solution should work properly for the most
>  Prevalent system and live with the fact that we don't know if

The code is designed to handle lots of different OSes.
I don't think it's fair to only support the commonest one.

>  There are any obscure OS's there which keep using short dates
>  Even 10 months or more after the date. It's just undefined.
>
>  Correct solution will come by using new FTP MDTM / MLST commands.

Indeed.