commons-dev mailing list archives

From "James Carman" <ja...@carmanconsulting.com>
Subject Re: [io] 2.0 Moving to minimum of JDK 1.5
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:46:41 GMT
On 2/11/08, Gary Gregory <GGregory@seagullsoftware.com> wrote:
> In my mind, the point of io2 (as in, the next version plus the possible repackaging)
is to allow us to (re)write io2 with Java 5 in mind. For example, you would never use a raw
type in the API or internally. Any other non collection generics APIs (array parameters) left
would be for backward compatibility. But for new APIs, we just need to think what is the best
for an API parameter, for example, an array or a generics collections? I think we are going
with generics from now on.

+1 on "rewrite with Java 5 in mind"  Not necessarily for io2,
specifically, but that's what I see as a major reason to bump to a new
major release number for some libraries (collections comes to mind).