commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schai...@Elsag-Solutions.com>
Subject RE: [configuration] artifactId on the 2.x branch
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2008 09:39:39 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

Emmanuel Bourg wrote:
> I noticed that the artifactId changed to
> commons-configuration2 on the
> 2.x branch. Is it necessary to change it? Couldn't we keep
> commons-configuration since the groupId has already changed to
> org.apache.commons?

aside from all args in the discussion, we have also to consider, that under some circumstances
artfiactIds themselves should be unique, since the groupId is not part of the real file name.
This happens when artifacts are collected in a single directory (war-plugin, ear-plugin, assembly-plugin,
...). Some plugins already can cope with such a situation by automatically generating a new
artifact name (war plugin), but e.g. for the ear-plugin this is not possible, since it would
break the classpaths in the manifest of the included EJBs. Therefore we should not force such
a situation and also use a different artifact name, especially since the recommendation is
to use the package name as artifact name.

- Jörg