commons-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [io] 2.0 Moving to minimum of JDK 1.5
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 10:00:41 GMT

On 05.02.2008, at 06:44, Henri Yandell wrote:

> On Feb 4, 2008 8:47 PM, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> We've discussed moving to a minimum of JDK 1.5 for IO 2.0
>> previously -
>> theres also an JIRA report here:
>>    http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IO-140
>>
>> From memory the preference was to move to a new package name  - how
>> about "org.apache.commons.io2"?
>
> For Collections it makes sense as there's a big API change planned.
>
> For the others, I think they should charge in and see what kind of API
> changes are required. If we're talking small ones, then I'd prefer not
> to. I continue to not think that the next major version of a jar has
> to kill itself over backwards compatibility (ie: what's the point of a
> major version).

But that is exactly the point of a major upgrade - it might have
incompatible changes.
Or what am I not getting here in your argumentation? :)

>> Are there any objections to me creating an IO 1.4 branch from the
>> current trunk and then starting work on IO 2.0 in the trunk.
>
> Any need to make the branch?
>
> ie) Wait until you need it; as long as you have a tag of the latest
> release you can always branch from that.
>
>> Initial plans would be:
>>
>>  - rename to the new package
>>  - remove deprecated items
>>  - Making appropriate JDK 1.5 changes (generics, using StringBuilder
>> and new Appendable for Writers etc).
>
> I'd move the new package one to 3rd rather than 1st.

I think it would much more consistent to do it across the board. If a
users upgrades from 1.x to 2.x it should not be expected too much to
run at least an "organize imports". And we would have less trouble
worrying about backwards incompatibilities - clean slate.

At least that's my take on this.

cheers
--
Torsten