commons-dev mailing list archives

From Curt Arnold <carn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant build script for source repackaging
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 18:35:29 GMT

> Thanks for this nice script !
>
> Should I update the "candidate" folder with the generated jars an
> call for a
> vote ?
>
> Nico.

The first version of the script was written to verify your process.
I've slightly modified the script to improve the generated jars.  The
new script (http://people.apache.org/~carnold/commons_repackage_v2.xml):

Creates a NOTICE file if a NOTICE or NOTICE.txt is not present in the
original source distribution (happens about 6 times).
Creates a LICENSE file if a LICENSE or LICENSE.txt is not present in
the original source distribution (does not happen)
Places overview.html and *.txt except NOTICE.txt and LICENSE.txt in
META-INF (the original scripts placed these in the root of the jar).
Place NOTICE or NOTICE.txt in META-INF as NOTICE
Place LICENSE or LICENSE.txt in META-INF as LICENSE

If someone is sophisticated enough to examine a jar file, they are
sophisticated enough that the benefit from the .txt extensions on
their NOTICE and LICENSE files and the .txt extension makes them
inconsistent with the v2 license which explicitly says the file is
named NOTICE.

I'd suggest the following:

Create a bug report for the repackaging (if there isn't one already).
Attach the script used for the repackaging to the bug report (I can do
that to keep the source provenance clean).
Prepare the source.jars. and upload to your builds area.
Call a vote.  I'd suggest that you break the vote into two slates, one
for the ASL 2 sources and one of the ASL 1.1 sources.

Barring any overlooked technical consideration, I think the ASL 2
releases should be non-controversial.  The ASL 1.1 a little more so,
but not that much more.

With that process:

The generation of the sources.jar is automated, reproducible and
verifiable.
The artifacts are released with PMC oversight.
All generated jars have META-INF/LICENSE and META-INF/NOTICE.
Generated jars have the same license as the original source
distribution.
Generated jars have the same compliance with ASF Source Header Policy
as the original source distribution.