commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [pool] New DBCP deadlock reported (DBCP-44)
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 13:13:56 GMT
Pool 1.4 has made DBCP-44 worse. The synchronization changes
implemented to address other issues in pool 1.4 have created more
opportunities for Evictor / client contention for locks on the pool
and factory-related objects.  The stack trace added to DBCP-44 on
27-feb-08 shows a new deadlock.  That particular issue could be
resolved by (re-)combining the last two synchronized blocks in
addObjectToPool, but that has some performance downside and there may
be other exposures.

While the DBCP side of this (DBCP-44) needs work as well, I think we
need to do something like the above to patch pool.  More eyeballs on
this appreciated.  I will open a pool ticket to track once I have done
some more testing.

Phil