commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: [All] Extraneous svn:executable properties for non-executable files
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 13:10:38 GMT
---- sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> schrieb:
> I'm working on a Perl script to check that SVN properties have sensible values.
>
> I've tried it against some Commons projects, and found a few with
> rather odd settings, for example the following files are all flagged
> as svn:executable:
>
> Commons-Lang
> src/java/org/apache/commons/lang/mutable/Mutable.java
> src/java/org/apache/commons/lang/mutable/MutableByte.java
> src/java/org/apache/commons/lang/mutable/MutableDouble.java
> src/java/org/apache/commons/lang/mutable/MutableFloat.java
> src/java/org/apache/commons/lang/mutable/MutableLong.java
> src/java/org/apache/commons/lang/mutable/MutableShort.java
> src/test/org/apache/commons/lang/mutable/MutableByteTest.java
> src/test/org/apache/commons/lang/mutable/MutableDoubleTest.java
> src/test/org/apache/commons/lang/mutable/MutableFloatTest.java
> src/test/org/apache/commons/lang/mutable/MutableLongTest.java
> src/test/org/apache/commons/lang/mutable/MutableShortTest.java
> src/test/org/apache/commons/lang/mutable/MutableTestSuite.java
>
> and
>
> Commons-IO
> src/test/org/apache/commons/io/EndianUtilsTest.java
> src/test/org/apache/commons/io/input/SwappedDataInputStreamTest.java
> src/test/org/apache/commons/io/output/CountingOutputStreamTest.java
> src/test/org/apache/commons/io/output/LockableFileWriterTest.java
> src/test/org/apache/commons/io/output/NullOutputStreamTest.java
> src/test/org/apache/commons/io/output/TeeOutputStreamTest.java
> xdocs/description.xml
> xdocs/index.xml
>
> Should I raise JIRA issues for these (I can provide scripts to reset
> the properties) or should I just fix them in trunk?

Just fix them I think.

In my experience these weird execute bits are quite common; if a unix text file gets this
bit set on it for some reason, then svn add will helpfully set the executable flag. I don't
know why people would have non-shell-scripts with executable bits set, but it seems to happen.
And if someone creates a new file by copying the old one as a base, the bit is attached to
the new file too..so it spreads.

BTW, thanks for working on this..

Regards, Simon