commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [io] 2.0 Moving to minimum of JDK 1.5
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 16:23:51 GMT
Hi,

On Feb 8, 2008 5:24 PM, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> On 2/8/08, Jukka Zitting <jukka.zitting@gmail.com> wrote:
> > If there's a class or interface, say o.a.c.io.SomeClass, that needs to
> > be changed extensively to match "Java 5 style", then I'd name the
> > modified version o.a.c.io.SomeClass2 (or something better if
> > possible).
>
> I don't know about that.  Then, we could potentially have classes like
> SomeClass, SomeClass2, SomeClass3, etc. running around. Also, it
> wouldn't be as easy to upgrade to a new version.  If it were done the
> other way, folks could just do a find/replace on the package name in
> their code and be done.

Why I should need the find/replace in the first place? A find/replace
won't help with any fundamental API incompatibilities that would
trigger the creation of SomeClass2.

You'd only need to upgrade to SomeClass2 if you actually need the new
functionality, otherwise you could just keep using the old API when
upgrading from 1.x to 2.x. With the o.a.c.io2 proposal everybody would
need to update their code when upgrading even if no part of the API
they touch has changed.

BR,

Jukka Zitting