commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [io] 2.0 Moving to minimum of JDK 1.5
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2008 15:09:19 GMT
Hi,

On Feb 8, 2008 3:49 PM, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
> So, you are suggesting having part of a release in the o.a.c.io
> package and the other part in the o.a.c.io2?

No. I'd keep everything in o.a.c.io.

If there's a class or interface, say o.a.c.io.SomeClass, that needs to
be changed extensively to match "Java 5 style", then I'd name the
modified version o.a.c.io.SomeClass2 (or something better if
possible).

I assume such cases to be the exception rather than the rule, so I
don't see the point in renaming the entire package.

Java 5 is just an enabler of new features (generics, etc.), it doesn't
magically make existing APIs obsolete. Sure, you probably want to
adjust collection types, but that's just like any other API change
request.

BR,

Jukka Zitting