commons-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Heger <oliver.he...@oliver-heger.de>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Proxy 1.0 (from rc2)
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2008 21:30:09 GMT
James Carman schrieb:
> On 2/20/08, Oliver Heger <oliver.heger@oliver-heger.de> wrote:
>> Niall Pemberton schrieb:
>>
>>> I'm +0 on this release because I like to review the actual artifacts
>>  > that are going to be distributed. The distros IMO meet ASF release
>>  > requirements but if I run command "mvn -Prc site assembly:assembly"
>>  > then the binary distro created also includes the javadocs and also
>>  > -sources.jar and -javadoc.jar. Which kind of makes the argument for
>>  > reviewing actual artifacts.
>>  >
>>  > Niall
>>

>> Same for me. The artifacts look good. Looking forward for the final
>>  distributions.
>>

> So, are you guys saying that you want to vote on the actual files that
> will be released?  While I agree that is a good way to do it, that
> doesn't go along with the directions for preparing/cutting a release
> that we have on our site.  According to the directions, I am to cut
> the release candidates (with the -rc* version numbers in the pom)
> until I get an affirmative vote (I believe three +1s are required and
> right now I have one if I'm allowed to count mine).  Then, I cut the
> actual release (again by changing the pom.xml file to add in the real
> version number for the release) and checksum, sign, and deploy it.
> There is no vote again according to the directions.
>
> So, do you guys want me to cut the actual release and let you vote on
> that?  Is that what you mean by "looking forward for the final
> distributions"?  If this is the case, shouldn't we update the
> directions to let folks know?  Maybe we should do [DISCUSS] threads on
> the candidates until folks feel comfortable with them and then do a
> [VOTE] thread?  If something shows up after the discussions that
> someone isn't comfortable with, we can always go back to cutting
> candidates until the kinks are ironed out.

You are right, the release instructions seem to be outdated in this area.

It has become common practice to cut release candidates, tag them as
such in subversion, but set the version numbers to the actual release
version. (Typically you set the version, e.g. 1.0, in the pom, create
the distributions and the subversion tag for the rc, and then roll-back
the version number to the snapshot version, for the case that the vote
fails.)

So these artifacts look exactly like release artifacts. (To avoid
confusion, they are not announced in the public, but only on the dev list.)

Then if the vote passes, these artifacts can directly be deployed to the
maven repo, and the tag for the rc can be copied to the release tag.
Otherwise a new iteration is necessary.

Oliver