commons-dev mailing list archives

From Siegfried Goeschl <siegfried.goes...@it20one.at>
Subject Re: [fulcrum] Moving to M2
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 10:07:52 GMT
Hi Simon,

these are interesting new - I have a look at it. I personally thing that
a proper SVN report is a must have since it simplifies reviewing of code
changes (I guess I might be overly formal here)

Cheers,

Siegfried Goeschl

Simon Kitching wrote:
> Hi Siegfried,
>
> ---- Siegfried Goeschl <siegfried.goeschl@it20one.at> schrieb:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> since my last releases of Fulcrum components reminded me of the dark
>> ages of release management I decided to move Fulcrum to M2
>>

>> +) I still have problems with the svn report - it picks up everything
>> which I do not understand
>>

> Selection of commits by date just does not work in Apache svn. The reason is that svn
assumes that commits are made in chronological order, ie r100 occurred after r99 and before
r101. It uses this assumption to map a date to a revision-number, effectively doing a binary
search across commits (start at revision #latest/2, is this commit before or after the target
date, repeat until correct revision found).

> But at apache we repeatedly imported batches of old cvs files, and kept the original
date info on them. This means that we break the svn assumption.

> Therefore, to get the svn report plugins working correctly, it is necessary to specify
revision-ranges, not date-ranges. Things like "the last 30 days" can go badly wrong, but "since
r345000" should work ok. I don't believe any commons projects actually bother to do this though;
we just have broken svn reports :-)