commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RESULT] Release Proxy 1.0 (from rc4)
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:59:35 GMT
On 27/02/2008, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 5:30 PM, James Carman
>
> <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>  > On 2/27/08, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > On 27/02/2008, James Carman <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>  >  >  > On 2/27/08, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > > Like everything here it needs volunteers willing to take that
role. If
>  >  >  >  >  I have spare cycles at the time, I would be willing to do some
>  >  >  >  >  releases and I don't mind being asked.
>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > The better the documentation is, the more people will potentially be
>  >  >  able to help ...
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  > Good, cause I may have to do a 1.1 release of proxy soon! :)  The
>  >  >  >  proxy objects generated by proxy aren't serializable in 1.0.  It took
>  >  >  >  a bit of work to get them to be serializable.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > Perhaps add serialVersionUIDs to all the relevant classes?
>  >
>  >  Well, I could add that, but I don't think proxies are meant to be
>  >  stored for long periods of time (between server restarts for
>  >  instance), nor do I think they're going to be sent "across the wire."
>  >  They're most likely going to be stored in an HttpSession.  So, I don't
>  >  know if setting the serialVersionUIDs is that big of a deal.  It
>  >  couldn't hurt, of course.
>

> I always thought it better to leave them out and let them be generated
>  by the jvm, that way you don't have to remember to update them when
>  changing the class.

True.

It's a trade-off - reduced run-time processing compared with increased
maintenance.

In this case - where it seems unlikely that different versions will
ever be mixed - it's unlikely that forgetting to update the ID would
cause any problems. So it may be worth risking that in order to
benefit from the reduced runtime calculations.