commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release commons-parent 8
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2008 14:27:30 GMT
On 27/02/2008, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:07 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On 27/02/2008, Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 2:42 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >
>  >  >  >     <inceptionYear>2001</inceptionYear>
>  >  >  >     <maven.compile.source>1.3</maven.compile.source>
>  >  >  >     <maven.compile.target>1.3</maven.compile.target>
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > Yes. But what's the problem? For the inceptionYear, that has to be
>  >  >  specified whenever you use a parent POM. And for the compilation
>  >  >  source and target properties: That has been in the commons-parent POM
>  >  >  since quite some time (and been quite successful, IMO).
>  >  >
>  >
>  >  The problem is that the default generally works, even if it is not
>  >  correct for the project.
>  >  So allowing projects to default these values is wrong - each project
>  >  needs to make a conscious choice.
>

> Defaults are good

Categorical statements are bad ;-)

I agree that avoiding unnecessary extra work is good - however in this
case, I believe that the extra work needs to be done.

We're not talking about major rework here - at most 3 lines need to be
added to the child POM. This only has to be done once, and only when
updating the parent POM (which is another edit in the same file).

Yes, the compiler versions may need to be updated later, but that was
always true.

>  >  If the parent POM has to have an inceptionYear, then I suggest it is
>  >  set to something like TBD (or 1900 if it has to be numeric) so that it
>  >  is obvious when it has not been set by the project.
>  >
>  >  [Likewise, if the versions have to be specified, then set them to
>  >  99.99 or somesuch]
>

> I believe 2001 was the inception of commons:
>  http://commons.markmail.org/search/?q=

But not of all Commons components, and the NOTICE file is supposed to
reflect the particular artifacts that are being distributed.