commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Proxy 1.0 (from rc2)
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 17:57:22 GMT
On 21/02/2008, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 5:27 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >
>  > On 21/02/2008, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  > On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 3:18 PM, James Carman
>  >  >  <james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>  >  >  > On 2/20/08, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  >  > Yup, sorry about this - we changed process just over a year -
I think
> [...]
of the
>  >  >  >  >  equation is maven2 - its only recently we started using m2 as
the
>  >  >  >  >  primary build on some components - before that it was pretty
much all
>  >  >  >  >  m1. The few recent m2 component  releases have all be manual
(rather
>  >  >  >  >  than using the m2 release plugin - I think JCI used that) -
so I'm not
>  >  >  >  >  sure if we have a set procedure - but should document both options.
>  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  Well, does anyone have explicit m2 instructions for doing these
>  >  >  >  releases (using the profiles in commons-parent, I'd think)?  I'm
>  >  >  >  pretty familiar with m2 as far as day-to-day stuff (clean, test,
>  >  >  >  install, etc.), but not for doing releases.
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  > How about something like the following:
>  >  >
>  >  >  1) Tag "proxy-1.0-rc3"  but with the version number set to "1.0"
>  >  >  2) Check out the proxy-1.0-rc3
>  >  >  3) Build the release artifacts - I think theres a couple of options here:
>  >  >
>  >  >  3.1) Run the following maven command:
>  >  >  mvn site javadoc:jar source:jar assembly:assembly
>  >  >
>  >  >  This will create all the artifacts - jars and src and binary distros,
>  >  >  but then you need to create checksums and sign
>  >  >
>  >  >  3.2) Run the following maven command:
>  >  >  mvn -Prc -DcreateChecksum=true site install
>  >  >
>  >  >  This should create all the artifacts installed in your local m2
>  >  >  repository, signed and checksums  (note it also creates checksums for
>  >  >  signature files - I delete those)
>  >  >
>  >  >  4) Upload the artifacts to peopel.apache.org/~jcarman and call a vote on
dev@
>  >  >
>  >  How about creating a temporary page on the Commons Wiki with this information?
>  >
>  >  Once the process has been nailed down and tested, it should be moved
>  >  to the formal website.
>

> Yes, I'll try to find time to do this. The other option is to use the
>  maven release plugin - something along the lines:
>
>   mvn -Prc release:prepare
>   mvn -Prc release:perform
>
>  This has worked OK for me for releasing the poms - but I haven't tried
>  it on a component. The main thing I don't like about the release
>  plugin is that every time you do release:prepare, it does 3 commits -
>  which is alot of noise if you have several release candidates. Also
>  I'm not quite sure how we go from stage rc --> actual release. I guess
>  you have to tag and version as if it were the proper release - and

Once the vote has passed, one can just copy the rc tag to the formal
release tag.
The RC tag should be kept (I guess any failed RC tags could be deleted).

To help tie this together, it would be an idea to document the RC tag
revision that is being voted on. If one wanted to be extra-careful, I
guess one could also document the digests of the artifacts as well.

>  Niall
>

>  >  >  Niall
>  >  >
>  >  >
>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  >  Niall
>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  >  > >
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  Oliver
>  >  >  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  Oliver
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  > On Feb 19, 2008 11:31 PM, James Carman
<james@carmanconsulting.com> wrote:
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >> All,
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >>
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >> I have prepared a commons-proxy-1.0-rc2
release candidate.  The
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >> distribution files can be found
at:
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >>
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >> http://people.apache.org/~jcarman/commons-proxy-1.0-rc2/
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >>
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >> and the site can be found at:
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >>
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >> http://people.apache.org/~jcarman/commons-proxy-1.0-rc2/site
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >> The SVN tag used to create the
release can be found at:
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/commons/proper/proxy/tags/proxy-1.0-rc2
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >> All issues brought up thus far
with the first release candidate have
>  >  >  >  >  >  >  >>  >> been addressed.  Again, this
is my first release (including signing),