commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: [fulcrum] Moving to M2
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 09:49:40 GMT
Hi Siegfried,

---- Siegfried Goeschl <siegfried.goeschl@it20one.at> schrieb:
> Hi folks,
>
> since my last releases of Fulcrum components reminded me of the dark
> ages of release management I decided to move Fulcrum to M2

> +) I still have problems with the svn report - it picks up everything
> which I do not understand

Selection of commits by date just does not work in Apache svn. The reason is that svn assumes
that commits are made in chronological order, ie r100 occurred after r99 and before r101.
It uses this assumption to map a date to a revision-number, effectively doing a binary search
across commits (start at revision #latest/2, is this commit before or after the target date,
repeat until correct revision found).

But at apache we repeatedly imported batches of old cvs files, and kept the original date
info on them. This means that we break the svn assumption.

Therefore, to get the svn report plugins working correctly, it is necessary to specify revision-ranges,
not date-ranges. Things like "the last 30 days" can go badly wrong, but "since r345000" should
work ok. I don't believe any commons projects actually bother to do this though; we just have
broken svn reports :-)

Regards,
Simon