commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jochen Wiedmann" <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: commons-parent-7 discussion
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2008 15:07:42 GMT
On Jan 12, 2008 3:25 PM, simon <simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:

> I don't see the point of that at all. Commons-xxx projects do not exist
> for the purposes of testing maven plugins. If commons-xxx can build
> successfully with version N of a plugin, then there is no reason to ever
> use any other version of the plugin.
>
> Well, one minor case is with report plugins, so that the reports
> generated by related modules look similar. But maven can't help with
> that anyway, as it doesn't provide <pluginManagement>.

Well that boils down to the question, whether we should have a
commons-parent or at least whether we should have only one. For
example, we might as well have a pom with reports only.

I am personally quite happy about it because I have the feeling that
it helps me. That's the reason why this discussion engages me. Others
(including you?) don't seem to keen on using its features.

I have no particular feelings if a subproject decides to use a
particular version of the commons-parent pom or not to use it at all.
OTOH, I'd ask that those who want to use it should be left more alone.

Jochen

--
Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before
you break 'em.

    -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)