commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jochen Wiedmann" <jochen.wiedm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IO] Planning IO 1.4 release
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:52:59 GMT
On Jan 10, 2008 3:43 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/01/2008, Stephen Colebourne <scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
[..]
> > +1 to this sentiment. I completely reject the notion of generating NOTICE.txt. That
is our responsibility here in commons.

> +1

And I reject the attitude to discard a solution *once and forever*,
simply because there is an aspect in the *current* implementation that
you dislike.

The value of the mrr plugin (in the light of the Apache policies) is
that it provides the technical solution for a non-trivial task: To
ensure that artifacts contain the required files. Having been the
person who was forced to implement a comparable solution in the past
for a several projects and for several artifacts separately, I am very
happy if someone provides a solution that does exactly that and will
take care for possible other artifacts in the future. The question,
how and from where the NOTICE.txt file is obtained is a minor problem,
which can easily be achieved, in the worst case by subclassing the
plugin. So, what's the reason to be so gruff?

Jochen

--
Look, that's why there's rules, understand? So that you think before
you break 'em.

    -- (Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time)