commons-dev mailing list archives

From Jörg Schaible <>
Subject RE: [exec] How to support the various Logging APIs?!
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 08:27:59 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:
> ---- Phil Steitz <> schrieb:
>> I agree here, but also with Luc's point above about logging not being
>> part of the API contract.  So the problem is how do you support the
>> use case above and one more: configurable debug/trace information.  I
>> don't want to hijack this thread, but these two use cases are what
>> has led me to look at adding logging to [dbcp] and [pool] and I am
>> currently stuck on how to do it.
> Perhaps one possibility would be to have the code contain a
> call to an empty log method. Then when logging is desired,
> use runtime code-weaving (AOP) to intercept calls to that
> method and replace them with real logging calls.

I cannot understand this complete fuss about commons-logging. With 1.1.1 we addressed all
known issues and even if someone does not want to use it, he can use slf4j, which ships with
a compatible API. So, why on earth should we not eat our own dog food?

- Jörg

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message