commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [math] understanding BigMatrixImpl.TOO_SMALL field
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2008 23:49:30 GMT
On Jan 12, 2008 3:45 PM, Rahul Akolkar <rahul.akolkar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/12/08, Luc Maisonobe <Luc.Maisonobe@free.fr> wrote:
> > One comment about this change: this would break compatibility with
> > version 1.1 and the clirr plugin flags this as an error.
> <snip/>
>
> That was my initial reaction as well when I read your first note
> (below). In general, we try to avoid incompatible changes (there are
> specific cases where we can attempt to push for exceptions, such as
> blatant bugs and/or v0.x releases).
>
> About the clirr errors you mention in the following paragraph, I
> suspect they will come up for discussion at the next release unless
> they are addressed or its a major release etc.

Yes.  We need to fix these things somehow.  The decision to make these
fields protected in 1.0 was unfortunate, but we need to find a way to
maintain compatibility while we deprecate things.  Sorry, I think this
was my mistake.  I will look into how to fix the problems in the stats
package.  IIRC, the BigMatrix.TOO_SMALL issue came up when we were
cutting 1.1 and we concluded then that there was no way to fix it
without breaking compatibility, which is why it is still there.  Might
be best to deprecate, so we can then make it both private and final in
2.0.

Phil