commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Support for OSGi
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:02:42 GMT
On Jan 31, 2008 1:52 PM, Oberhuber, Martin
<Martin.Oberhuber@windriver.com> wrote:
> Hello Niall,
>
> it would be interesting for Eclipse consumers as
> well to get Apache bundles with Meta-info already
> applied.
>
> Currently, the Meta-info is mostly added manually
> as part of the Eclipse Orbit project.
>
> I have had a brief look at your auto-generated
> MANIFEST for commons net, and found a few issues:
>
> http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-osgi/commons-net-1.5.0-SNAPSHOT
> -MANIFEST.MF
>
> 1. Import-Package: examples;version="1.5.0.SNAPSHOT"
>    this is just wrong. The commons net deliverable
>    jar should not import examples.

I have adjusted the maven plugin config so that these are not included
- new versions of the net (and launcher) jar and manifest are
available for review in the same place:
  http://people.apache.org/~niallp/commons-osgi/

> 2. Import-Package: org.apache.commons.net.smtp
>    this is also wrong though less destructive.
>    commons.net.smtp is really exported and not imported.
>
> 3. Export-Package:
> org.apache.commons.net.smtp;uses:="org.apache.commons.net.io,org.apache.
> commons.net"
>    It's useless to add a "uses" directive for
>    packages that are in the same bundle. At
>    Eclipse-Orbit, we've found problems with "uses"
>    and decided to no longer use it.
>
> I guess that these should perhaps really be bug
> reports against the Bnd utility which autogenerated
> the Manifest; Tool: Bnd-0.0.227.

These isn't much OSGi knowledge here in commons - we're doing this at
the request of the Apache Felix project so that they don't have to
re-package our artifacts for OSGi. So I'm hoping that someone from
Felix will pick up your second and third points :)

> But for me, it also shows that in the current stage
> it looks like the OSGi manifest still needs to be
> written by hand and not auto-generated.
>
> Anyways, if there is a plan to make a downloadable
> release of any commons packages with OSGi info
> added, I'd like to know.

We've had two releases recently with OSGi info (Commons Pool 1.4 and
Commons IO 1.4) and we have a wiki page to track progress here (which
hopefully we'll keep up-to-date):

http://wiki.apache.org/commons/CommonsOsgi

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

Niall