commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Commons Wiki] Update of "CommonsOsgi" by NiallPemberton
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:51:58 GMT
On Jan 17, 2008 9:16 AM, Simon Kitching <simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
> ---- Apache Wiki <wikidiffs@apache.org> schrieb:
> >   set up. Therefore adding OSGi attributes to commons-logging is not useful, as
commons-logging
> >   is not usable in an OSGi environment.
> >
> > + ''niallp: Can't be? But what if it is, logging is used by many so I would be surprised
if its not.''

> Well, I'm basing my info on an email sent to this list about two weeks ago. But it seems
sensible to me: commons-logging plays lots of tricks with classloaders to try to accomodate
the needs of
> (a) dumb logging libs,
> (b) dumb servlet engines,
> (c) dump jee specs, and
> (d) dumb users.
>
> OSGi sets up its own complicated classloader hierarchies to try to hide certain java
classes from each other, allow dynamic reloading of class hierarchies, etc.

> I haven't specifically looked into it, but the original poster was quite definite that
they are not compatible, and I would actually be very surprised if they were. (He was also
unnecessarily rude, but that's another matter).

OK I missed that, but I've added links into the thread and Pax-Logging.

> Supposedly, there is a library out there somewhere that implements the commons-logging
api (ie provides classes in the org.apache.commons.logging namespace) but implements things
in an OSGi-aware manner.

> As OSGi is becoming more popular, it would be nice if a link to that package was present
on the commons-logging wiki.

Done

Niall