commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons IO 1.4 based on RC2
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:58:53 GMT
On Jan 16, 2008 2:27 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Found what appear to be some build problems:
>
> "ant dist" creates a Manifest entry of:

> whereas the (M2) distribution has:

> This is probably due to
>
>  project.properties: maven.compile.target = 1.1
>
> which affects M1 builds as well.

OK but m2 is the primary build system for this release as long as what
its generated is OK and the other builds work (even though with
slightly different config) then I don't think this is an issue. This
release supports mainly JDK 1.3 with some JDK 1.4 requirement - and by
configuring source/target compiler options of 1.3 then we achieve that
(which is also the same as the last release btw) - the other build
systems specifying 1.1 doesn't AFAIK break that goal.

> The Ant Manifest does not include the Bundle and Import/Export
> headers, but that probably does not matter.

Agreed, and my answers the same as to the previous point.

> The Maven1 build runs the tests twice - the target "test:compile"
> appears twice in the output (but the second time, the classes are not
> recompiled).

Yes thats a maven feature!

> The Maven2 build seems to download lots of unnecessary jars, for
> example, taking just the commons jars:
>
> commons-collections-3.0.jar
> commons-httpclient-3.0.1.jar
> commons-codec-1.2.jar
> commons-beanutils-core-1.7.0.jar
> commons-logging-1.0.3.jar
>
> Are these (and all the other jars) really needed to build Commons IO?
> I counted 52 jar downloads; there were probably others that would have
> been downloaded if I had started with an empty local repository.

Its not what IO needs - its what maven and all the plugins need to run
the build. Take for example the Jira report that the IO build produces
- maven needs it and all its dependencies (and its dependencies'
dependencies etc etc) to be able to run that report
http://tinyurl.com/2hgs8c - from a quick scan I count 10 for that
alone and that applies to all the plugins the build uses. IO itself
has one dependency for testing on JUnit and thats it - no runtime
dependencies.

> [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> [INFO] Internal error in the plugin manager executing goal
> 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:2.0-beta-5:site': Unable
> to find the mojo
> 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:2.0-beta-5:site' in the
> plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin'
> Component descriptor cannot be found in the component repository:
> org.apache.maven.plugin.Mojoorg.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:2.0-beta-5:site.

OK I see the version of that plugin in the repo:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-site-plugin/

So looks like its a local problem to your env. (assuming you can
access the repo). We don't specify a version for that plugin either in
the IO pom.xml or commons-parent (perhaps should) and I've never had
any luck downloading and installing them manually, so I usually just
add a dependency temporarily (i.e. specify the plugin and version) and
let maven sort it out - perhaps someone else can give you a better
solution though.

Niall