commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: component suggest : commons-monitoring
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:46:26 GMT
On Jan 15, 2008 4:28 PM, nicolas de loof <nicolas@apache.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just asked for an apache lab for a java monitoring component
> (
> http://labs.markmail.org/search/list:org.apache.labs.labs#query:list%3Aorg.apache.labs.labs+page:1+mid:bkztzg2rmceuopvq+state:results
> )
>
> One year ago I've created a sourceforge project (www.jmonit.org) with same
> idea in mind, and used it @work, but did not yet create a community around
> this project that could make it eligible to the apache incubator.

Actually theres no community requirement to *enter* the incubator -
just to exit it. Thats one of the main purposes of incubation -
creating a community. The real requirment is gathering mentors and
pursuading the incubator folks (or other sponsoring PMC) that its a
good idea.

> As an alternative to apache labs, the apache.commons sandbox seems to be the
> best place to create such a component, and to get feedback from the wide and
> talentuous apache developers community.
>
> What is the "apache.commons" way for such contribution request ?

We have a policy that any ASF committer can start something in our
Sandbox. Usually though this is people starting out from scratch, not
importing an existing code base from outside the ASF (and Apache Labs
is similar). For importing an existing code base then at a minimum we
would probably need to at least use the Incubator IP Clearance check
list (the Mantissa contribution to Commons Math did this a while back,
so the archives may give you some pointers).

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/ip-clearance-template.html

So I think its really down to you on the route you want to take -
whether here or elsewhere

Niall