commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Niall Pemberton" <niall.pember...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [all] releasing a nearly dormant project (was Re: [exec] how to proceed for a nearly dormant project)
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2008 01:42:47 GMT
On Jan 3, 2008 9:00 AM, Torsten Curdt <tcurdt@apache.org> wrote:

> > According to the website moving to proper requires an "active group
> > of committers" - I hardly qualifiy for that so I'm sort of stuck
>
> That was my concern
>
> > Therefore I see two options
> >
> > +) one existing committer teams up with me (preferred but rather
> > unlikely looking at the recent activity)
> > +) I leave commons-exec at it is in the sandbox  and push out a
> > SNAPSHOT release
>
> IMO a SNAPSHOT release is not really what we want. But I guess we (as
> a community) need to discuss situations like these. The definition of
> active committers is rather vague in this context. After all we have
> quite some "one man shows" where other committers just help out. But
> not releasing "exec" does not sounds like a better option either.

I agree the only option is really to propose promoting exec to become
a proper component and then release. For me the question is how likely
is Siegfried to stick around to support it? I would hate to see it
promoted and then it go inactive again shortly after. I know
circumstances change and there are no binding commitments here - but
stating an intention to stick around and look after it when proposing
promotion would make me more likely to vote for it (plus yours and
Luc's semi-interest helps). Looking at the commit logs, the people to
last work on actual code were Niklas Gustavsson (July 2006), Trygve
Laugstoul (Sept 2005) and Brett Porter (August 2005) - perhaps it
would be also worth pinging them to see if their interest can be
revived.

Niall