commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IO] Planning IO 1.4 release
Date Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:05:12 GMT
Hi,

+1 to Commons IO 1.4!

On Jan 6, 2008 4:58 AM, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2008 2:23 AM, Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I think we should deal with IO-137 as it's a minor enhancement and
> > comes with tests. I'll volunteer to look at that.
>
> I looked at this a while back and using the baos buffers directly in
> an InputStream raises a safety issue (if the baos is modified while
> the InputStream is being read) - do we care about that?

I kind of agree. I was thinking about proposing a "copy on write" flag
to reset() that would start with a new set of buffers when there are
InputStreams reading from the same buffers, but that seems too complex
to me.

Apart from that, I like the general idea in IO-137 (it's similar to my
readFrom() proposal) so I'd like to see it in 1.4 if there's a
consensus on what form the feature should take. I'm willing to invest
some time to work out the details.

> > IO-51 has tests, so worth a look at if that can be done before the
> > others are resolved. ie) punt to post-1.4 iff it's the last one left.
>
> I had a brief look and my initial thought was the Limiter should just
> be doing the throttling and the reading/writing should be in the
> input/output implementations - but I haven't looked in detail.

I looked at IO-51 a few months ago, and came to the same conclusion.
The implementation isn't too modular and probably too complex (i.e.
could be done with less code). Of course I didn't have time to come up
with an alternative implementation.

I like the feature though, and I have some use cases where it would
come in handy, but I think it's better to improve the Limiter API
before the feature gets released.

> IO-148 is done from my PoV - I left it open in case anyone wanted to
> object to me renaming it today. If Gary and Jukka are happy then we
> can mark it as fixed.

I'm happy.

BR,

Jukka Zitting