commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Proctor <li...@markproctor.com>
Subject Re: Support for OSGi
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2008 18:03:54 GMT
Torsten Curdt wrote:

> On 21.01.2008, at 10:08, Tom Schindl wrote:
>
>> Hi Torsten,
>>
>> I understand this but we are seeing many J2EE-Servers adopting OSGi
>> and many applications
>> (I admit most of them in Eclipse-world) also. It seems strange to me
>> in those envs to use this "artificial"
>> package to overcome jar-hell (which is the only reason for the
>> java5-package right?) they are not having
>> because of OSGi.
>
> Hm.... not sure why its such a big deal to have e.g. o.a.commons.lang2
> or similar. If you use an IDE that manages imports you will barely
> notice anyway.
personally I've always wondered why having a version attached to the
namespace hasn't taken off more to deal with api breaking releases. if
we had org.antlr1 org.antlr2 org.antlr3 life would be much easier. Sure
you wouldn't get auto drop in jar and release, but I'm guessing tooling
could make up for that in those cases.