commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [IO] Planning IO 1.4 release
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2008 21:14:08 GMT
simon wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 21:11 +0100, Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> sebb wrote:
>>> AIUI, the NOTICE file is not about dependencies, it is about the
>>> artefacts that are actually included in the distribution.
>>>
>>> In the case of Commons, dependencies are normally not included in the
>>> distribution, and should therefore not be included in NOTICE.
>> Now I better understand why you feel the way you do about this.
>>
>> The approach that mrrp takes is to inform about software that is either
>> included *or* used by the current project. So it behaves differently
>> than you expect it to. I don't have much insight into the legal stuff
>> surrounding these files, but mrrp is used by lots of ASF project. So I
>> suspect that the generated NOTICE files comply with ASF policy.
>
> In legal terms, things like "I don't have much insight into the legal
> stuff" and "I suspect that that generated NOTICE files comply.." worry
> me a lot. It also bothers me that "lots of projects" appear to have
> changed their legal process without asking on legal-discuss.

I started using the plugin because I had seen it used in other places
within the ASF, so I assumed it was OK to use it. The resource-bundle
that is downloaded by mrrp was designed to help ASF projects to comply
with ASF policy, AIUI.

> Now I don't have much insight into legal issues either, and it may well
> be that you are right and I am wrong. But if processes are to be
> *changed*, then surely we need to validate the change before applying
> it. Just making changes to the legal processes without any expert
> opinion seems to be asking for trouble.
>
> Which projects are using mrrp auto-notice generation, and since when?

I don't know when it was first used, but I checked SVN right now and
directory and geronimo use it.

> Regards,
>
> Simon

Dennis Lundberg