commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [IO] Planning IO 1.4 release
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2008 20:20:46 GMT
Simon Kitching wrote:
> ---- Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> schrieb:
>> On Jan 10, 2008 9:04 AM, Simon Kitching <simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
>>
>>> No. What I am saying is that the NOTICE file should have *only* information about
the files in the current maven module. The NOTICE should *never* *never* have information
about files in other maven modules, ie data should *never* be pulled from other poms in order
to generate the NOTICE file.

Is this ASF policy? I studied the "ASF Source Header and Copyright
Notice Policy", but the docs on the contents of the NOTICE file is
rather scarce.

>>> As this is the core concept of the maven-remote-resources, we should therefore
*never* use the maven-remote-resources plugin.
>> I am sorry, but due to your above words I have just scanned through
>> the documentation of the mrr plugin. And I have absolutely no idea,
>> where you get this idea about "core concept" in the sense that it
>> cannot be made at least configurable.
>
> Hmm..looking at the maven site, the documentation is not very helpful.  The main page
just says that it "retrieves jars of resources", then "processes" them. The FAQ page gives
a few further vague hints.

While debating this topic I have dug into both the code and the
documentation of the plugin. You are correct that the docs are lacking.
I will update the docs with my findings.

> It's the bit about NOTICE file generation that I care about.
>
> I know that the remote-resources plugin is capable of pulling in a copy of the LICENSE
file from a central location. I don't personally think this is a good idea, and that checking
in a copy manually to each project is better, but care less about this than the NOTICE file.

> Is there something else that the remote-resources plugin would do for commons projects
*other* than handle NOTICE and LICENSE? If so, I'm not aware of it..

It can be used for *any* remote resource bundle that we'd care to
create. One common use case is to package configuration files for
Checkstyle and PMD into a jar file. That jar file is deployed to the
central repository and can be downloaded by mrrp, thus ensuring that a
bunch of related projects all share the same configuration.

> Please don't take this as an attack on either Dennis or yourself. You're both great contributors
to commons. I just don't see the point of this particular plugin...

That is what discussions are for - learning new stuff.

> Regards,
> Simon

Dennis Lundberg