commons-dev mailing list archives

From Dennis Lundberg <denn...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [IO] Planning IO 1.4 release
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2008 22:16:02 GMT
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 4:41 PM, Dennis Lundberg <dennisl@apache.org> wrote:
>> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>>> OK so now were down to agreeing the exception in IO-77 - once thats
>>> done I can cut an RC.
>>>
>>> I'm starting to think that with the javadoc.jar Notice/License issue I
>>> may cut the rc with m1, since m2 seems to painful ATM (I've spent far
>>> too much time battling with m2 recently).
>> Problem solved in r610444:
>> https://svn.apache.org/viewvc?view=rev&revision=610444
>
> Thanks - shouldn't we do this in commons-parent pom though, not just for IO?

No, not in my opinion. We've agreed to disagree on which way to go with
this. There are two option, each with its merits and flaws.

A) Use maven-remote-resources-plugin
B) Keep manually edited files in SVN and copy them manually to the
correct places

If supporting one of these (A) isn't allowed in the parent pom, then why
should the other (B) be supported?

Anyway, on to the problem at hand here. I just found another antrun
execution in IO:s pom, in the release profile. There's some code in
there that recreates the -javadoc.jar and inserts the LICENSE.txt and
NOTICE.txt files. That could probably be removed now.

But it just struck me - we've been going about this the wrong way! The
plugins that we use (jar, javadoc, source) supports remote resources. So
let us use that functionality instead of trying to create it ourselves.
It's dead simple really: we create an antrun execution, much like the
one I made, that copies our *local* resources to the same place that the
remote-resources-plugin copies its resources to.

         <plugin>
           <!--
             - Copy LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt so that they are included
             - in distribution jar files.
             -->
           <version>1.1</version>
           <executions>
             <execution>
               <id>local.resources</id>
               <phase>generate-sources</phase>
               <goals>
                 <goal>run</goal>
               </goals>
               <configuration>
                 <tasks>
                   <copy
todir="${project.build.directory}/maven-shared-archive-resources/META-INF">
                     <fileset dir="${basedir}">
                       <include name="LICENSE.txt" />
                       <include name="NOTICE.txt" />
                     </fileset>
                   </copy>
                 </tasks>
               </configuration>
             </execution>
           </executions>
         </plugin>

I haven't tried this for real, but will play around with it and see if
it would work.

WDYT?

> Niall

<snip/>