commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [POOL] Offer of help for a 1.4 release
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2008 19:40:43 GMT
Christoph Kutzinski wrote:
> - creating a new object means the pool is exhausted which in turn usually means that
we have a high-load situation.
> - creation of new objects is expensive (probably even more in high-load situations).
This is why we originally used the pool
> - so in conclusion it is probably a bad idea to create multiple object in parallel

I don't see how serializing object creation can help performance. If you
have a test case and some numbers that show otherwise, I would be very
interested in taking a look.

If you are really worried about the cost of object creation then you can
configure the pool to create all the objects at start-up and block until a
free object is available.

Mark