commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Support for OSGi
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2008 12:09:25 GMT
On 22/01/2008, Jörg Schaible <Joerg.Schaible@elsag-solutions.com> wrote:
> Mark Proctor wrote:
> > Torsten Curdt wrote:

> >> Hm.... not sure why its such a big deal to have e.g.
> >> o.a.commons.lang2 or similar. If you use an IDE that manages imports
> >> you will barely notice anyway.
> > personally I've always wondered why having a version attached to the
> > namespace hasn't taken off more to deal with api breaking
> > releases. if
> > we had org.antlr1 org.antlr2 org.antlr3 life would be much
> > easier. Sure
> > you wouldn't get auto drop in jar and release, but I'm
> > guessing tooling
> > could make up for that in those cases.
>
> Ironically Java could already support this, there's a reason why a manifest should specify
a Specification-Version. It would have been so simple to use this information also to separate
classes in a class loader. But the Gods of Java refused to make anything out of it ;-)

Surely that would not work for java classes without a manifest - e.g.
classes which are loaded as individual class files rather than from
jars. Not all Java processes use jars.