commons-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Commons IO 1.4 based on RC2
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2008 15:58:01 GMT
The manifest created by the M2 build includes the following:

Build-Jdk: 1.5.0_07

so yes, the actual build JDK is shown, but so are the intended versions.

For javac, the source and target setting have limited effect in that
they don't affect the libraries, see:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MATH-173?focusedCommentId=12557925#action_12557925

but at least they have *some* effect.

Are you saying that Maven2 fails to act on the source and target JDK
settings at all?

On 16/01/2008, Paul Benedict <pbenedict@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
> > (which is also the same as the last release btw) - the other build
> > systems specifying 1.1 doesn't AFAIK break that goal.
> >
> > > The Ant Manifest does not include the Bundle and Import/Export
> > > headers, but that probably does not matter.
> >
> > Agreed, and my answers the same as to the previous point.
> >
> > > The Maven1 build runs the tests twice - the target "test:compile"
> > > appears twice in the output (but the second time, the classes are not
> > > recompiled).
> >
> > Yes thats a maven feature!
> >
> > > The Maven2 build seems to download lots of unnecessary jars, for
> > > example, taking just the commons jars:
> > >
> > > commons-collections-3.0.jar
> > > commons-httpclient-3.0.1.jar
> > > commons-codec-1.2.jar
> > > commons-beanutils-core-1.7.0.jar
> > > commons-logging-1.0.3.jar
> > >
> > > Are these (and all the other jars) really needed to build Commons IO?
> > > I counted 52 jar downloads; there were probably others that would have
> > > been downloaded if I had started with an empty local repository.
> >
> > Its not what IO needs - its what maven and all the plugins need to run
> > the build. Take for example the Jira report that the IO build produces
> > - maven needs it and all its dependencies (and its dependencies'
> > dependencies etc etc) to be able to run that report
> > http://tinyurl.com/2hgs8c - from a quick scan I count 10 for that
> > alone and that applies to all the plugins the build uses. IO itself
> > has one dependency for testing on JUnit and thats it - no runtime
> > dependencies.
> >
> > > [ERROR] BUILD ERROR
> > > [INFO]
> > > [INFO] Internal error in the plugin manager executing goal
> > > 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:2.0-beta-5:site': Unable
> > > to find the mojo
> > > 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:2.0-beta-5:site' in the
> > > plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin'
> > > Component descriptor cannot be found in the component repository:
> > >
> > org.apache.maven.plugin.Mojoorg.apache.maven.plugins:maven-site-plugin:2.0-beta-5:site
> > .
> >
> > OK I see the version of that plugin in the repo:
> > http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-site-plugin/
> >
> > So looks like its a local problem to your env. (assuming you can
> > access the repo). We don't specify a version for that plugin either in
> > the IO pom.xml or commons-parent (perhaps should) and I've never had
> > any luck downloading and installing them manually, so I usually just
> > add a dependency temporarily (i.e. specify the plugin and version) and
> > let maven sort it out - perhaps someone else can give you a better
> > solution though.
> >
> > Niall
> >
> > > This was running:
> > >
> > > mvn clean site assembly:assembly
> > >
> > > using:
> > >
> > > Maven version: 2.0.8
> > > Java version: 1.4.2_16
> > > OS name: "windows xp" version: "5.1" arch: "x86" Family: "windows"

IMO