commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: [IO] Planning IO 1.4 release
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
---- Jochen Wiedmann <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> schrieb:
> On Jan 10, 2008 9:04 AM, Simon Kitching <simon.kitching@chello.at> wrote:
>
> > No. What I am saying is that the NOTICE file should have *only* information about
the files in the current maven module. The NOTICE should *never* *never* have information
about files in other maven modules, ie data should *never* be pulled from other poms in order
to generate the NOTICE file.

> > As this is the core concept of the maven-remote-resources, we should therefore *never*
use the maven-remote-resources plugin.

> I am sorry, but due to your above words I have just scanned through
> the documentation of the mrr plugin. And I have absolutely no idea,
> where you get this idea about "core concept" in the sense that it
> cannot be made at least configurable.

Hmm..looking at the maven site, the documentation is not very helpful.  The main page just
says that it "retrieves jars of resources", then "processes" them. The FAQ page gives a few
further vague hints.

It's the bit about NOTICE file generation that I care about.

I know that the remote-resources plugin is capable of pulling in a copy of the LICENSE file
from a central location. I don't personally think this is a good idea, and that checking in
a copy manually to each project is better, but care less about this than the NOTICE file.

Is there something else that the remote-resources plugin would do for commons projects *other*
than handle NOTICE and LICENSE? If so, I'm not aware of it..

Please don't take this as an attack on either Dennis or yourself. You're both great contributors
to commons. I just don't see the point of this particular plugin...

Regards,
Simon