commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <simon.kitch...@chello.at>
Subject Re: [Commons Wiki] Update of "CommonsOsgi" by NiallPemberton
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2008 09:16:17 GMT
---- Apache Wiki <wikidiffs@apache.org> schrieb:
>   set up. Therefore adding OSGi attributes to commons-logging is not useful, as commons-logging
>   is not usable in an OSGi environment.
>
> + ''niallp: Can't be? But what if it is, logging is used by many so I would be surprised
if its not.''

Well, I'm basing my info on an email sent to this list about two weeks ago. But it seems sensible
to me: commons-logging plays lots of tricks with classloaders to try to accomodate the needs
of
(a) dumb logging libs,
(b) dumb servlet engines,
(c) dump jee specs, and
(d) dumb users.

OSGi sets up its own complicated classloader hierarchies to try to hide certain java classes
from each other, allow dynamic reloading of class hierarchies, etc.

I haven't specifically looked into it, but the original poster was quite definite that they
are not compatible, and I would actually be very surprised if they were. (He was also unnecessarily
rude, but that's another matter).

Supposedly, there is a library out there somewhere that implements the commons-logging api
(ie provides classes in the org.apache.commons.logging namespace) but implements things in
an OSGi-aware manner.

As OSGi is becoming more popular, it would be nice if a link to that package was present on
the commons-logging wiki.

Regards,
Simon