commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <phil.ste...@gmail.com>
Subject [pool] 1.3-1.4 compatibility
Date Mon, 10 Dec 2007 13:27:19 GMT
Thanks to Mark's help, we have resolved all of the issues marked for
1.4 other than POOL-107, which may not be a POOL bug or may have been
fixed by changes already made.  I have started work on release notes
and site cleanup and noticed in tracing through changes since 1.3 that
there were some API contract changes made early on.  In particular,
r385746 appears to implement some of the changes described in [1].  I
think we need to roll some/most of these changes back for 1.4.  This
is a little tricky, since most of them really amount to making what
were imprecise and / or incorrectly documented APIs clear and
consistent, so it is not obvious that all should be reverted.

As of now, the only thing that I am certain we need to revert is the
change in the default testOnBorrow value for GOP,  GKOP from false to
true.  I will work through all of the diffs over the next couple of
days, run CLIRR and provide a complete list.  I will create a 1.4
release branch with just the 1.x classes (no composite package) this
evening.  We can revert changes there and leave trunk as is for 2.0
for now.  More eyeballs on a) the recent changes to fix the timer and
sync bugs in trunk and b) the changelog will be helpful.

Phil

[1] http://www.nabble.com/-pool--roadmap-to1431371.html#a1435963